Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sensibly Exercising

This has been on my mind a lot lately:

"But have nothing to do with irreverent and silly myths.  Rather, train yourself in godliness, for the training of the body has a limited benefit, but godliness is benefitical in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." -1 Timothy 4:7-8

Now, I don't want this ripped screaming from the context.  Christians shouldn't avoid exercise in order to spend more time in prayer.  We should care for our bodies in order not to sin against the Holy Spirit which lives in us.  As Christian wives, we should exercise also to stay sexually appealing to our husbands.  As Christian mothers, we should do what we can to stay in shape, able to run after small children and discipline them when necessary.  I've seen kids who know they're too strong for their parents and know their parents will not physically make them comply, and the kids therefore get away with far too much misbehavior. 

Sometimes, however, I think we can take physical training too far.  Women, we're far too often concerned with appearances.  We want attention, for the world to think we're pretty, not just our husbands.  We spend too much money (on the newest exercise equipment to surgery) and too much time (taken from God and our husbands) on the temporary benefits training of the body will bring.  We get too much pleasure from the world seeing the tone of our bodies and not enough pleasure from the good God has created our bodies to do (love our husbands, bear and nurture babies).  I can testify that the changes my body undertakes with each child is more appealing to my husband the more children we have!

I'm not packing up my running shoes.  I love to run any time I can get the opportunity!  I personally don't care about running with other people so much as I like running alone for the peace it provides me as I hear the sound of my feet hitting pavement and the pacing of my breathing.  I'm alone with God during my running on the best days. And I do have plans to spend $30 to run a 5K in a few weeks just to face the challenge of running over a very steep bridge. 

We have a stationary bike in our home that once cost us $500 almost six years ago.  It's been worth it because I don't have to leave my children during naptime to get my heart pumping and stay in shape.  I enjoy my free weights and my Pilates video (my kids often join me in this).

I suppose this is a bit of a ramble, just thoughts I've been having on the subject.  Truly, it has been heartbreaking to me to consider this topic as God has brought it to my attention.

No comments: