Monday, September 5, 2011

Reminders for a Season of Disappointment

My family is healthy and happy.  Some discipleship I've got going with a couple of women is going well.  My husband and I are deeply in love.  Some ministry projects I'm involved in are flourishing.  God is good, and I daily enjoy my time with my Father.

Given all that, you'd think I'd be turning cartwheels, but I'm not.  There've been a few things weighing heavy on my heart.  Some trips and things I've had planned to do for fun and time of refreshing have fallen through. I'm a little bummed.

Now is the time to begin speaking God's truth to myself, even when I'm not feeling it.  Over-the-top, emotionally driven worship services fade away.  God's Word remains.  These are my reminders in a season of disappointment:

God will supply rest for my soul.  "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." -Matthew 11:28-30

My earthly best friend, my husband, will help bear my burdens.  "Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their efforts.  For if either falls, his companion can lift him up; but pity the one who falls without another to lift him up.  Also, if two lie down together, they can keep warm; but how can one person alone keep warm?  And if somebody overpowers one person, two can resist him.  A cord of three strands is not easily broken."       -Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

God has provided me with friends in close proximity.  "Don't abandon your friend or your father's friend, and don't go to your brother's house in your time of calamity; better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away."                      -Proverbs 27:10

Thank You, God, for these reminders.  They help me to remain a sensible woman in the more trying times.

No comments: