Friday, March 4, 2011

Perpetual Do-Gooder

So often, I find myself so frustrated with women who always think it's their husbands who are wrong. Not only that, but women then hang it over their husbands' heads, never letting them forget. The man doesn't take out the trash fast enough, doesn't meet whatever emotional needs his wife may have, doesn't take on enough responsibility with the children, on and on and on. Wife in turn doesn't have sex with her husband, doesn't do special things for him, she nags about that trash, rolls her eyes when her husband speaks, etc.

I am a miserable creature, made in the image of God, but fallen. God in His goodness saved me, not because of a speck of anything good in me. When it comes to marriages where women think of themselves more highly than they ought, I am reminded of Matthew 7:1-5:
"Do not judge, so that you won't be judged. For with the judgment you use, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye but don't notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and look, there's a log in your eye? Hypocrite! First take the log out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Not only that, but Proverbs 31:12 says, "She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life." She does him good, she does him GOOD, SHE DOES HIM GOOD! It doesn't say he's deserving every day of his life. I'm certainly not deserving of the good God does for me. I want my life to be a reflection of the work God has done for me, beginning by being a perpetual do-gooder to my husband on his good days and his bad.

No comments: