Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wednesday's Woman Guest Post by Mindy

Yay!  I'm very excited to have my friend, Mindy, sharing about her own Titus 2 mentor today.  Mindy and I went to college together, and she was spiritually mature even then.  She met and married her husband their freshman year, had a baby a couple of years later, and she still graduated on time with a great GPA!  I was always very impressed! 

Here's what Mindy shares with us today:

My friend Tonya is the biggest Titus 2 woman in my life right now.   About 5 years ago I decided to make her my mentor, and I am so thankful that God put her in my life.  One of the biggest things that I’ve learned from Tonya is how to show hospitality.  She has a way of making you feel completely at home and welcome.  She gets what it really means to be hospitable. It’s not about spending  the 5 hours before people arrive super cleaning your house and cooking a visual masterpiece of a meal so that people will be impressed.  Instead, it’s about showing the love of Jesus in your life. By having people in your home, you’re opening up your life to them in a more intimate way.  If you have Christ, what better way to share Him than by welcoming people into your life?  There’s something about sharing a meal around a person’s table that opens up doors, that lets people see who you really are.  Some of the most encouraging times we’ve had have been spent hanging out in Tonya’s living room talking through  whatever questions we have or whatever is going on in our lives.
                Tonya and her family are also a part of an organization called RYFO that cares for touring musicians by offering them a place to stay while they pass through the area, feed them, let them take showers…really just helping them with basic conveniences that we take for granted.  Most travelling bands don’t have the budget for a hotel room every night so they will sleep in their van, outside, or wherever they can find.  Through RYFO, bands that are passing through the area can stay at a host home. Tonya’s family has had the opportunity to share Jesus in a tangible way.  She and her husband are effective because they are not only telling these musicians about Christ, she is offering them a place to sleep, cooking meals for them at 1am when the band comes in from a show, and staying in contact with the bands they meet through facebook (it’s NOT just a time waster!).
                Earlier this year, we moved to a new city so I don’t get spend nearly as much time as I’d like with my friend, but I hope I’ve learned enough to make people feel as welcome in my home as I have been in hers.

Mindy is a homeschooling mom of three kids.  She and her husband serve as a CARES team in their community through Apartment Life.  You can find her blogging at Mindy's Non-Adventures, a total misnomer!

No comments: