Friday, March 2, 2012

Bon Anniversaire, Dr. Seuss!

No matter what goes on with my daily household chores, however sparkly or grimy my abode may be, at the end of each day I can measure some success as a homemaker through a very important activity.  Did I read to and with my children today?  If I did, wonderful, even if the house suffered.  If I didn't, but my home is spotless, I'm bound to feel like I missed out on one of the greatest ways to nurture my children.

Today is Dr. Seuss' birthday, which is what primarily has me thinking about reading with my children.  But yesterday, my son gave me a bit of a pat on the back in this department.  My husband stepped in to wash the dishes I had begun to work on (Yes, I find him quite hot!), when my son (20 months) walked into the kitchen wanting me.  Taking me by the hand, he led me to the den, and finally to his corner of the room with a basket full of board books.  He began to point and say "uh, uh" (not yet saying book too often).  I told him I needed to do some other work first, but that I would read with him later.  Walking back to the kitchen, he followed with a book and cried. 

My husband commented, "Congratulations, Mommy, you've made our children readers.  I never thought my son would ever cry to read a book."  Success!  Of course I read him the book.

In the hustle and bustle of all we have to do, it's nice to be reminded from time to time that the simplest of activities are usually the most loved and cherished by our children.  So I also encourage you to end your days as mothers by asking yourselves two questions:

      1)  Did I teach my children of God's ways (both his just and his merciful ways) through the use of Scripture and prayer with them?
   
    2)  Did I read to my children, the smallest of infant his board book and the older child from a chapter book?

If so, I think you can give yourself a pat on the back!

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;" -Proverbs 1:7a

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your little guy sounds exactly like my third child. He's 23 months old and each evening we practically empty his basket of board books. One after another is read and I am dreading the day when he'll find something "better" to do.